Reading Assistant Plus
In this topic:
The Scientific Learning programs for iPad let students log in to MySciLEARN from an iPad mobile digital device and work on the Fast ForWord and Reading Assistant Plus programs. They leverage the latest mobile technologies to provide MySciLEARN users with the best possible experience. For example:
- Touchscreen technology and bright, animated graphics captivate elementary school, middle school, and high school students alike.
- iPad portability allows students to use the programs wherever they want, whenever they want.
- With just a username and password, students can access the program from any supported device and switch among them (computer to iPad to laptop, and so on).
This topic answers some frequently asked questions.
Which programs are available for iPad?
All of the Scientific Learning programs are available for iPad, including the Reading Progress Indicator (RPI) assessments. Please note that in order to use the RPI app, you'll need an active Results Now! package subscription for your MySciLEARN account.
The program demos are also available for students using iPad, and can be accessed within the programs. To use the demos as a staff member or parent, use a web browser on a computer (see Program demos).
Just like MySciLEARN on a desktop or laptop computer, the programs use the Internet to communicate with MySciLEARN. When the student opens a program on iPad, it connects to MySciLEARN and prompts the student to log in and use the program as usual. When the session ends, the student's results are added to the MySciLEARN reports.
- Foundations series and Reading Assistant Plus. On iPad, students use these programs through the Safari web browser. You don’t need to download a mobile app for them, but you will need to set up the iPad first. See Set up iPad for student use.
- Language/Literacy/Reading series and Reading Progress Indicator. On iPad, students use these programs through mobile applications, or mobile apps, designed specifically for use on iPad mobile digital devices. You’ll need to download the mobile apps from the App Store.
The Scientific Learning programs for iPad are the same as the programs used on the browser, with a few enhancements for iPad. See the following topics:
There are a few system requirements, including which iPad mobile digital devices are supported.
No new licenses or fees are required—any student with a program license and an active online MySciLEARN account can use the programs on iPad. If you have any questions about licensing, check with your school administrator or contact Scientific Learning Customer Support.
No, the programs do not require anything new or special on the administration side of MySciLEARN. As a staff member, you'll continue using MySciLEARN as usual—managing students and creating assignments, monitoring student training sessions, and reviewing student results reports.
Yes, students can switch among supported devices as they like—from a computer to iPad and back again at any time.
The Foundations series and Reading Assistant Plus programs lets students use the Safari web browser built into every iPad. However, for the rest of the Fast ForWord programs and Reading Progress Indicator, students need to download the mobile apps on their iPad.
The legacy Fast ForWord and Reading Progress Indicator mobile apps do not need content acceleration—they include all of the content required to use that app. Any content servers already set up at the school or district will not be used or affected by using the apps.
The Foundations series and Reading Assistant Plus programs on iPad use our new content acceleration technology. See Content acceleration.
The programs on iPad employ the same security as MySciLEARN, which requires that all students use a unique login and password to access the program. In addition, all of the data for MySciLEARN is hosted by Scientific Learning and all communication between the client and MySciLEARN is encrypted using SSL. If you have any additional questions about security, contact