In this topic:
About updates and alerts
When a student reaches specific milestones within a Fast ForWord or Reading Assistant Plus product, or the student requires an intervention, MySciLEARN updates (or flags) the student's status in the reports to inform staff members that immediate action should be taken. When you see a status update or alert, open it to view detailed recommendations.
Status updates and alerts are designed to inform staff members when immediate action is required; therefore, they reflect the student's current state in the product and only appear when you're using a date range that includes the current date (for example, Last 4 Weeks, This Week, or a custom date range that includes today's date). If you set the date range to an earlier period, the status updates or alerts may no longer appear in the report, or you may see “N/A” in the report. For more information about date ranges, see About report date ranges.
If you have any questions or concerns about status updates and alerts, or you'd like help understanding a specific alert, contact Scientific Learning Customer Support.
If you see one of these status updates or alerts on a report, open it to view detailed recommendations.
Switch. This status indicates that the learner is progressing well, and to be continually challenged in all areas, it would be beneficial to move them to the next product. There is sufficient overlap between the products such that the learner's weaker skills will continue to be developed while the stronger skills will be taken to new levels.
Complete. This status indicates that the learner has completed most of the material available in the product. For the most effective use of ongoing learner time, they should progress to the next product or return to a classroom environment that allows them to practice the skills that have been acquired.
Intervene. This alert indicates that the learner is not progressing as well as desired in one or more of the exercises. The learner may be having difficulty with the exercise instructions or content, or with staying motivated. To help get the learner back on track, click the Intervene alert to view detailed, exercise-specific intervention strategies based on the student’s performance in the product.
Adjust. This status indicates that the learner is not progressing as desired in the product. If interventions have not been successful in getting the learner back on track, consider one of the following:
- Advance to the next product. This will offer further challenges in areas where the learner has excelled, and will present the difficult material using an alternative approach.
- Participate in instructional activities that practice skills acquired in the Fast ForWord products. The learner may benefit from further use of this product at another time.
- If interventions have not been attempted, please refer back to them prior to discontinuing the Fast ForWord products with any learner.
Note: When calculating the Fast ForWord status updates and alerts, MySciLEARN uses specific algorithms that include multiple factors such as student age and exercise completion rate. These algorithms are specific to each exercise and skill within the different Fast ForWord products. If you have any further questions, contact Scientific Learning Customer Support.
If you see one of these alerts on a Reading Assistant Plus report, open it to view detailed recommendations.
Comprehension. This alert indicates that the learner is struggling to comprehend the presented material and has achieved less than 80% correct on 3 or more of the last 5 quizzes. Consider revising placement to provide an easier reading level or try using interventions to increase comprehension. Click the Interventions link in the alert to view detailed intervention strategies. Following are some suggested interventions:
- Provide the student with a checklist of activities to complete before taking the quiz in a reading selection. For example:
- In Preview and Read, listen to the selection and read along at least two times. Then read the selection silently all the way through at least one time. When you are finished, see how much of the selection you can remember.
- In Take the Quiz, review the selection before you begin answering questions.
WCPM (Words Correct Per Minute). This alert indicates that the learner is struggling to read the presented material at an appropriate rate (the student has achieved 75% or less of the WCPM goal on 3 or more of the last 5 selections). Consider revising placement to provide an easier reading level or try using interventions to increase accuracy and fluency. Click the Interventions link in the alert to view detailed intervention strategies. Following are some suggested interventions:
- Provide the student with a checklist of activities to complete in the Preview and Read and Record activities. For example:
- In Preview and Read, listen and read along at least two times for each selection. Try reading aloud while you listen to the reading. Then choose the sentences that are difficult to read and listen to the model reading. Practice reading the sentences at the same rate and with the same expression.
- In Read and Record, think about what each sentence means as you read it aloud. Play your recordings and find any sentences you did not read fluently. Then practice reading those sentences. After each recording, listen to and practice reading all red and blue words.
Where can I see updates and alerts?
The status updates and alerts appear in the following reports:
- Usage reports (FFW / RA Plus)
- Group Percent Complete report (FFW)
- Student Progress report (FFW)